What has BMCG achieved?
- Ongoing compilation of bird checklists for sites for various purposes
- Participation in and contributions to ADU projects such as Birds in Reserves Project (BIRP), Co-ordinated Avifaunal Roadcounts (CAR), Co-ordinated Wetland Counts (CWAC) and South African Bird Atlas Project (SABAP).
- Trained competent bird guides on Durban reserves for the
International Ornithological Congress in 1998 and BirdLife International Conference in 2004.
- Compiled a publication Bird Checklists of KwaZulu-Natal Reserves: Part 1 Greater Durban Area
- Made significant contributions to the BIRP project and My BirdPatch
- Bird monitoring at Durban International Airport and the new King Shaka International Airport
- Participated in the re-established KZN Rare Birds Committee
- Improved the status of habitats in local waste water treatment works by tree-planting
- We enjoy birding and have fun
- Established Champions for local reserves – but more champions are still needed – email Roy.
- Developed a Reserve Feedback Form to report on the status of our reserves and green areas for submission to champions
- Contributed to the monitoring of the Barn Swallows at the Mount Moreland IBA roosting site
- Contributed to the IBA assessment at Umvoti Estuary
- Created working relationships with:
- eThekwini Municipality
- Conservancy Association
- Participation in other conservation projects