BirdLife Port Natal
A Branch of BirdLife South Africa
Birdlife Port Natal was established in Durban in 1949 as the Natal Bird Club and as one of the oldest bird clubs in Africa celebrated its Diamond Anniversary in 2009. It is also one of the larger clubs affiliated to Birdlife South Africa, which in turn is the national partner of Birdlife International, the largest conservation organisation in the world. Thus, Birdlife Port Natal plays an important role in conservation in particular, and other aspects of “birding” in KZN and southern Africa, together with the expertise of the professional staff at BLSA.
Clicking on this link will open a new web page from which a Membership Application Form can be downloaded.
- MEMBERSHIP: Applicants for membership of Birdlife Port Natal (BLPN) have the option to also enrol as members of Birdlife South Africa (BLSA) the national body, of which Birdlife Port Natal is an affiliated regional club. The subscription fee indicated in section B1 pays for membership of both bodies. However, if the club option is the only one chosen then the subscription fee will be for the club only as indicated in section B1. Payment in both instances is to be made to BirdLife South Africa.
- BENEFITS: at no further cost unless specified:
2.1 AS A MEMBER OF BLSA:
- participation in/opportunity to support projects aimed at the long term conservation of birds and their environment
- opportunity to become involved in research, conservation and monitoring programmes under the guidance of experts
- access to outings, activities and tours
- subscription to African Birdlife which is produced by BLSA and considered to be an excellent production
- discounts from selected outlets on presentation of membership card and identification
- opportunity to attend the annual BLSA Flock held in March each year at different venues which combines the AGM, workshops and various outdoor activities; and to have full voting rights for both BLSA and BLPN.
2.2 AS A MEMBER OF BLPN:
- monthly programme of mid-week and week-end outings with experienced birders on hand to assist (entrance fees to the nature reserves / birding spots may be payable)
- a) an in-door get-together on the second Wednesday evening of every month, where well-known birding personalities present talks on various aspects of birding; b) every second month Krantzkloof Birds, a satellite group of BLPN, organises an interesting talk on the second Tuesday morning at Krantzkloof Interpretive Centre
- our own BLPN book “shop” operates offering a variety of books and accessories for sale at competitive prices
- weekends away to reserves and privately owned birding spots, usually at special rates negotiated by BLPN, where experienced birders will help you gain the most from the excursion
- annual pelagic trips if arranged
- informative regional newsletter KZN Birds, published three times a year, which includes details of forthcoming events/activities of all branches within the KZN Bird Forum
- opportunities to join the Bird Monitoring and Conservation Group, and participate in SABAP2 (bird atlasing project), BIRP (Birds in Reserves Project), and CWAC (Coordinated Waterbird Counts) as well as train for and participate in club/regional projects such as bird ringing, monitoring/census of birds and their breeding areas and conservation of their habitats
- regular courses and fieldwork conducted by national and local birding experts at low cost
- new members qualify for one birding course/module at no charge, offered by our club and to be utilised in the first year of membership
- opportunity to volunteer for our education and publicity outreaches to promote our rich avifauna amongst KZN learners and the general public
JOIN BIRDLIFE PORT NATAL
AND THROW YOUR WEIGHT BEHIND OUR EFFORTS TO CONSERVE THE BIRDS AND HABITATS OF KZN
MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY: LESLEY FRESCURA. E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 0832313408