BirdLife Port Natal
A club affiliated to BirdLife South Africa
Birdlife Port Natal was established in Durban in 1949 as the Natal Bird Club and is one of the oldest bird clubs in Africa. It is also one of the larger clubs affiliated to Birdlife South Africa, which in turn is the national partner of Birdlife International, the largest conservation organisation in the world. As an affiliate club Birdlife Port Natal, shares the goals of BLSA as they relate to conservation of birds and habitats within KZN and therefore the club plays an important role in conservation, as well as influencing various aspects of birding in KZN and southern Africa.
To join the club – why wouldn’t you do it for the birds ? – or if you have any queries or questions about your membership then please contact by email – firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 082 442 2982 (Jane) / 082 451 8078 (Nicky) or 061 485 3625 (Adam)
Members of Birdlife Port Natal (BLPN) also have the option join Birdlife South Africa (BLSA) the national body, of which Birdlife Port Natal is an affiliated regional club. Subscriptions and cost for Individual, Senior Citizens and Students are included.
BENEFITS OF BIRD CLUB MEMBERSHIP
- There is a monthly programme of mid-week and week-end morning / day outings with experienced birders on hand to assist (entrance fees to the naturereserves / birding spots may be payable in some cases). Members free and nonmembers welcome with an entrance fee of R20pp.
- An in-door meeting on the second Wednesday evening of every month, where well-known birding personalities and members present talks on various aspects of birding. Members free and non-members welcome with an entrance fee of R20pp.
- Weekends away to reserves and privately owned birding spots, usually at special rates negotiated by BLPN, where experienced birders will help you gain the most from the excursion.
- Subscription to a member’s only email service [BLPN] which provides information on outings, meetings, recent sightings, rarities and other bird related news.
- KZN Birds, published electronically four times a year, which includes articles and details of forthcoming events/activities of all branches that participate in the BirdLife Regional KZN Forum.
- Opportunity to join groups participating in bird related research, and participate in SABAP2 (bird atlasing project), BIRP (Birds in Reserves Project), and CWAC (Coordinated Waterbird Counts) as well as participate in club/regional projects such as monitoring/census of birds and their breeding areas and conservation of their habitats.
- Regular courses and fieldwork conducted by national and local birding experts at low cost. Courses are provided for beginners all the way through to advanced bird-watchers, including identification of LBJs and photography courses.
- Members qualify for one free BLPN birding course or module) once a year at no charge, and to be utilised in the first year of membership.
- Opportunity to volunteer for our education and publicity outreaches to promote our rich avifauna amongst KZN learners and the general public.
- Membership of BLPN includes an affiliation fee to BLSA of R15.00.
Members qualify for discounts from selected outlets on presentation of membership card and identification
JOIN BIRDLIFE PORT NATAL AND THROW YOUR WEIGHT BEHIND OUR EFFORTS TO CONSERVE THE BIRDS AND HABITATS OF KZN
Please contact email@example.com
082 451 8078 (Nicky) or 061 485 3625 (Adam)