SWAROVSKI OPTIK /
Birds are Wild!
Entries for the BEKZN Swarovski Optik Birds are Wild! Photography Competition open on the 15 September 2020. Photographs may be submitted through to the closing date of the 31 January 2021 and the winners will be announced in mid February 2021.
Lots of categories – something for everyone
- Bird Portraits – the bird subject can be photographed in close-up or whole, but the photo must have feeling, transmit an emotion through the pose, look, expression… the bird should be the focus of the image.
- Bird Flocks – in flight or on the ground.
- Birds in Detail – close – with attention to a specific detail with a story.
- Birds Action – dynamic, energetic and birds just doing what they do – behaviour, flight and movement.
- Bird Character – those shots that just make you ooh, aaah or giggle at the birds expression, pose or action
- Birds in Habitat – photographs submitted in this category must show the relationship between the bird and its natural environment and include it in its familiar landscape, which is the most important part of the picture
- Artistic Bird Visions – creative shots of birds – go wild!
- Best bird photo taken with a Smartphone – to make it accessible to all members
- Best bird photo taken with a Bridge camera – category restricted to bridge cameras only
- Birds are Wild! – for young photographers (17 years and younger).
The competition is being promoted by BirdLife Port Natal and entry to the competition is subject to the rules as set out below:
- The competition is open to all paid up members of BirdLife Port Natal only. (To join the club please click here).
- Members may enter as many pictures in any or all categories at R25 per photo entered.
- Photographs must be taken between 15th September and 30th January 2021.
- By submitting an entry each entrant agrees to these rules, submits that their entry complies with the rules and agrees to reimburse the competition promoter should it be revealed that the rules were not followed
- Category 10 ‘Birds are wild!’ is limited to photographers 17 years old and younger.
- Photographs of wild and indigenous birds taken within South Africa are eligible for entry
- Images submitted should be the result of a single image.
- Each photograph should have a title or caption.
- Photographs submitted should be no larger than 2Mb. Please attach photo to your email – do not embed it into the body of the email.
- If your photograph is shortlisted as a finalist you may be asked to upload the original photo.
- Reasonable techniques for manipulation which enhance the image quality are acceptable but any major alterations should be avoided (Adjustment to levels, curves, colour balance, colour saturation, dodging and burning, selective adjustments using layers and blemish and dust spot removal are all examples of acceptable manipulation).
- If cropping is to be employed for composition, horizon correction etc this should not be too sever and images must be kept at 2000 pixels on the shortest side.
- If your photograph is selected as a finalist, a copy of the original file should be submitted when requested by BLPN.
- Ethics: The use of calls and/or the use of live bait to obtain a photograph, is not condoned and is actively discouraged by BLPN. BLPN reserves the right to disqualify any entry where they suspect methods employed by the photographer are judged to breach the ethical code of conduct.All photographers to adhere to an ethical code of conduct when obtaining the images entered in the competition, ensuring that the practices employed do not:
- inflict any form of cruelty or suffering to another living animal;
- the behaviour of the bird and other wildlife is not negatively affected;
- there is no detrimental effect on the environment.
- photos that show obviously disturbed birds will not be considered (being flushed, threat display to photographer, etc.). Particular care should be taken at nests in this regard.
- Copyright: All imagery MUST be the total and exclusive work of the submitting photographer and may not include any element that is the copyright of another. The Copyright for each image entered will remain with the photographer. By entering the Competition and submitting your photograph(s), you hereby grant the Promoter license to use your photograph(s) for any purpose connected with the Competition, including (but not limited to), promoting the Competition within printed and online media, the inclusion within printed and digital versions of display related to display at exhibitions, use in press, promotional and marketing materials, social media networks and for the promotion of any future photographic competition in both print and online media. All images will be credited to the photographer where used.
- Photo Category Prizes: Each photo category will have a winner who will be awarded a prize.
- Lucky Draw Prize: Each entry submitted will be equivalent to one entry into the lucky draw competition to win the Lucky Draw Grand Prize of a pair of Swarovski CL Compact 10×25 binoculars.
Submit your entries by email to email@example.com. Ensure each entry is accompanied by the following information:
- Title of Photo
- Competition Category entered.
- Date, place and bird photographed.
- Proof of payment to the BLPN account.
Keep Following the News from BEKZN!
One of the best ways of keeping in touch with the competition is to sign up for our news and trip reports by filling in the Subscribe email block at the bottom of the page – Make sure you never miss a thing!