Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
“Lesley Frescura” lfrescura
Don’t forget to join Elena Russell and Jenny Norman for the mini Big Birding Day – see details below.
Practice for the Big Day!
A Mini Birding Day will be held on Saturday 2nd November 2013 with participants meeting at 06:00 at Paradise Valley Parking Lot. Bring a picnic lunch and chairs along for a social after the birding.
Birders must make up teams consisting of 3/4 persons. Each team will be handed a bird list consisting of 200 species to be found in the Greater Durban Area. If you can’t make up a team, don’t worry, there will be others there that you can team up with. Each team will go out and find as many of those birds as they can anywhere in the Ethekwini area, and meet back at New Germany at 13:00 (there are braai facilities – bring your own charcoal etc.) so that the lists can be handed in and be evaluated to find the winners and the runners up. There will be a prize for the winning team and the best bird seen …
A day of fun for all!
1. Big Birding Day rules will apply.
2. Don’t travel too far – it wastes valuable birding time.
3. Look carefully at the list and go where you will find most of the species. If there is time left, then move on to find the tricky ones.
4. At least 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4 persons must positively identify each species by sight or sound. If in doubt – leave it out!
5. Most important – Have a great day and lots of fun.
Jenny Norman & Elena Russell